Re: GNOME Gripes

Hello out there,

On Mon, 1 May 2000, Ross Boylan wrote:

> Stability:
> Balsa crashes very frequently.

This seems to be a widely encountered problem. On my box (i486), balsa
from potato crashes just on startup (Segfault). It was the first time I
installed it, so I got the one from stable for testing purposes. This
worked. It really seems to be a problem with the new version.

> Aesthetics:
> I think the default enlightenment theme--in fact most of the themes
> for most of the window managers--are just ugly.  The default theme
> makes it look as if you have a rusting scrap heap on your desk.

That's not a GNOME-Problem.
There are hundreds of themes out on the web (for example at:
http://e.themes.org/), just get the one that suits your needs.

> Only the NextStep derivatives have a decent look, to my eye.

I also like the NextStep Look and Feel very much.

By the way, I think GNOME has a much more beautiful interface out of
the box than for example KDE. But that's a matter of taste, and as we all
know it's just a matter of configuration.

Regards,
Daniel