Re: Installing lp in potato...

On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 01:32:17PM -0500, Ron Stordahl wrote:
> When selecting the device driver module for lp (line printer) in potato I
> get this error:
>
> /lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
> /lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o: insmod lp failed
>
> Installation failed.
>
> =====
>
> I do not get this error if I install slink instead, its new to potato, at
> least for me.
>
> Since I have my harddrive on a plug in carrier, I plugged in the Win98 disc
> to verify that nothing has gone wrong with my lp controller (its the typical
> on board one) and it works just fine.  It is configured, in the BIOS, as
> 378H IRQ 7 ECP+EPP ECP DMA Select 3.
>
> Rather than use the default of leaving the command line arguments blank I
> also tried io=0x378 irq=7 but the error was the same.
>
> Is this the correct group to report this?
>
> Any ideas?

I'm not sure that this would affect installation of the module itself,
but lp device numbering changed between kernels 2.0.x and 2.2.x.

Have you compiled a new kernel yet?  The modules off the install disks
are a bit dodgy (this bug may have been fixed however).

--
Nathan Norman         "Eschew Obfuscation"          Network Engineer
GPG Key ID 1024D/51F98BB7            http://home.midco.net/~nnorman/