Re: X display

On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 05:58:46PM +0000, John Carline wrote:

> > > ( what is olwm and many other apprev...I done no!!)?
>
> Missed this question. Olwm is a windows manager not a xserver. You can
> load one windows manager or several and then switch between them. Windows
> managers are what you seed when the xserver starts. Everyone has their
                        ^^^^
s/seed/need/

For a visual and feature-wise comparison of window managers, try the
Window Managers for X page

    http://www.plig.org/xwinman/

...though note that features not evident in static screenshots can make
a tremendous differnce.  My pick is WindowMaker.  For a MS Windoze
background newbie I'd suggest KDE and/or Gnome, in about that order.
Blackbox is also cool.  Olwm is based off of Sun's OpenLook window
manager.  Bretty bletchly IMO.

> You also need a file manager. Take a look at TkDesk or midnight commander.

s/need/may want/

A file manager isn't essential.  ls, cp, rm, and mv will get you a long
way <g>.  However, there are several drag'n'drop file managers.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>           http:/www.netcom.com/~kmself
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/