Re: TTF problems

On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 04:42:34PM -0300, Carlos Henrique Santos Laviola wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I have installed xfstt on my system, and it works great, but I still
> have a problem with it: I can't display characters like the ' in Joe's
> correctly (they look like Joe?s on the screen). I have heard that's a
> encoding problem, so I put on my /etc/init.d/xfstt:

In HTML?  Yes.  Microsoft encodes these characters in a nonuniform manner.
There is a program called the demoronizer which corrects this problem by
replacing the characters in question.

> ARGS="--port $portno $daemon --user $newuser --encoding
> iso8859-1,windows-1252"
>
> I have the newest version of xfstt (1.1.6).
>
> Also, do you have any tips on getting TrueType fonts to work with
> StarOffice / WordPerfect 8? I could convert my TTF fonts to Type1 (.pfb)
> and then display (most of) them on the screen with StarOffice, but it
> refuses to print something I write with them.

Can't, AFAIK, WordPerfect -- Corel has its own broken independent font
support.  You have to buy the non-free version of WP to get fonts.

Not sure what the situation with StarOffice is, but there are several
websites out which address (if not resolve) these questions.

> Please redirect answers to my e-mail (I am not subscribed to the list).

Preferred form is to request a cc:.  Communal knowledge and all that.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)

Scope out Scoop:  http://scoop.kuro5hin.org/
Nothin' rusty about Kuro5hin:  http://www.kuro5hin.org/