Re: installing- last try before win98

smoke wrote:

> i downloaded the files from the getting started, dos install. i have
> install, linux
> drv1440.bin, loadlin.exe, root.bin,resc1440.bin and base2_1.tgz.
> i run the install bat and get a command to enter kernal name. i tried
> linux and nothing
> happens. WHAT IS THE KERNEL out of these files? IS LINUX SUPPOSED TO
> HAVE
> AN EXTENSION?
> IF I DO GET AN INSTALLATION TO WORK WILL I SEE A GRAPHICS PAGE OR
> JUST
> #
> #
> #
> # ?
> i want to learn linux, but if it is uninstallable without knowing unix
> commands i will
> buy windows 98.
> i have compacted a second harddrive, and ran fips. i have two
> partitions. i have the
> files required according to the getting started page in a file on the
> dos partition.
> WHAT DO I TYPE IN FOR THE KERNAL?
> is the base 2-1.tgz a compressed file i have to unzip?

I have run into this problem a few times. Every time it was because I had downloaded
the "linux" file via Netscape Navigator (and then forgot not to next time). Netscape
does something to the file. What you want to do is ftp to the site where you're
downloading the files from and ftp down the "linux" file. Should solve your problem.