Re: installing- last try before win98

smoke wrote:

> i downloaded the files from the getting started, dos install. i have
> install, linux
> drv1440.bin, loadlin.exe, root.bin,resc1440.bin and base2_1.tgz.
> i run the install bat and get a command to enter kernal name. i tried
> linux and nothing
> happens. WHAT IS THE KERNEL out of these files? IS LINUX SUPPOSED TO
> HAVE
> AN EXTENSION?

The 'linux' file is the kernel. It doesn't need an extension. What is
the 'command to enter kernel name'?

> IF I DO GET AN INSTALLATION TO WORK WILL I SEE A GRAPHICS PAGE OR
> JUST
> #
> #
> #
> # ?

If the installation program runs, you will know. It will say 'Debian
Installation' somewhere.

> i want to learn linux, but if it is uninstallable without knowing unix
> commands i will
> buy windows 98.

You can install it without knowing Unix commands.

> i have compacted a second harddrive, and ran fips. i have two
> partitions. i have the
> files required according to the getting started page in a file on the
> dos partition.
> WHAT DO I TYPE IN FOR THE KERNAL?
> is the base 2-1.tgz a compressed file i have to unzip?

Note: I did not install Debian this way. Maybe someone who did can help
this guy out more than I.

After you run 'install.bat', what happens exactly? Type out the messages
that it gives into the reply to this email. Detail anything that happens
in between (like 'the computer reboots' etc...).

Do you get the 'boot:' prompt? You should be able to just press 'enter'
here.

Matthew