Re: installing- last try before win98

On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 10:33:01AM -0800, smoke wrote:
> i downloaded the files from the getting started, dos install. i have
> IF I DO GET AN INSTALLATION TO WORK WILL I SEE A GRAPHICS PAGE OR
> JUST
> #
> #
> #
> # ?
> i want to learn linux, but if it is uninstallable without knowing unix
> commands i will
> buy windows 98.

Smoke,

I am far less qualified to answer the specific questions you have about the
files needed to install, as I have always used a CD (_very_ cheap from many
places), but I do suggest that you possibly look at a distribution like
RedHat or Suse.  With the feelings you express about having to learn unix
commands, those are IMHO better choices for you until you get your feet wet
(at least, I Think Suse fits you better.  Redhat for sure.).  After you
figure out whether you like the OS or not, you might consider Debian a better
choice.

Linux is a Unix offshoot. Learning its "language" is going to be unavoidable
for you if you plan to do more than fire up a couple of GUI apps under X.
But don't rush into Linux expecting the world of it.  Unlike Windows, things
are not hidden from you and done in some fashion considered optimal for all
users.  Programs do get set up using a default, but you can tune it the way
You want it.  You'll know far more about your computer by the time you feel
handy with Linux.

How to use it comes with patience, time, and a sense of adventure.  Something
like--"Linux.  Not just an OS. It's an adventure!"  :-)

Good luck!

Kenward