Re: 2.1 Installation and Backpack CD-Rom

The Backpack, AFAIK, requires parellel port device support, plus
additional kernel module support, under the "paride" (PARallel IDE)
configuration options.  I'm not sure that typical installation kernels
have this support built in.  If they aren't, you would probably have to
build your own installation kernel and get it onto the install media
somehow.  This would probably be difficult for a newbie, and would
require installing Linux (or finding a Linux installation) elsewhere
<g>.

I would recommend a networked install via PLIP or a supported network
(internal or PCMCIA) card from another machine.  Yet another option
would be to locate and install a CDROM drive for the duration of the
installation.  Given that CDs are extermemly common and a popular media
format, obtaining a CDROM drive would probably be a good thing.
Locally, slow (8x - 12x) CDROM drives are being advertised from $US 30 -
50.  Affordable by most metrics.