Developing Gnome Apps with Debian?

Hi.  I have a question about Gnome and Debian.  I have installed the October
Gnome using apt-get from debian/~vincent/mumble on my reasonably stock slink
system.  I want to track the latest Gnome libraries, and in particular, the
glade and gtkmm libraries, and bonobo.  These are apparently quite out of
date in October Gnome.  I understand how to build gnome apps from the
tarballs, or from CVS if necessary.  Is there any easy and reliable way of
getting the October Gnome stuff off my machine so that I can upgrade
to the edge?  Or is there in general a better way to do this?

I thought about "apt-get -f remove task-gnome-apps" but that seems like
a lot of violence.  Maybe that's the way to do it, though.  I also spent
some time finding out all the packages I would have to remove if I removed
libgtk*.  That seemed like more work than was necessary as well, but
perhaps that's the right way to do it.

Thanks.