Potato upgrade - Gnome has lost all but the basic icons on desktop

After upgrading (Storm Linux) Slink to Potato I have found that Gnome no
longer
displays the icons of my choice on the desktop. I get only the standard
folder and document icons. If I try to change them I can go through the
motions, but the new icon is not displayed on the desktop. My
~/.xsession-errors file shows a number of errors:

Looking in .xrdb: Permission denied
xrdb: can't open file '/etc/X11/Xresources/xbase-clients'
SESSION_MANAGER=local/scgf:/tmp/.ICE-unix/774,tcp/scgf:1068
rm: cannot remove `/home/gsmh/.gnome//gmc-JMCr3a': No such file or
directory

GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to: No such user 1000.

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkpixmap.c: line 97 (gtk_pixmap_new): assertion
`val != NULL' failed.

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkcontainer.c: line 706 (gtk_container_add):
assertion `widget != NULL' failed.

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 1434 (gtk_widget_show):
assertion `widget != NULL' failed.
subshell.c: couldn't get terminal settings: Inappropriate ioctl for
device

** WARNING **: Error setting the icon position metadata for
"/home/gsmh/.gnome-desktop/Home directory"

** WARNING **: Error setting the icon position metadata for
"/home/gsmh/.gnome-desktop/hda5"

** WARNING **: Error setting the icon position metadata for
"/home/gsmh/.gnome-desktop/hda2"

** WARNING **: Error setting the icon position metadata for
"/home/gsmh/.gnome-desktop/hdc1"

** WARNING **: Error setting the icon position metadata for
"/home/gsmh/.gnome-desktop/Palm Pilot.desktop"

** WARNING **: Error setting the icon position metadata for
"/home/gsmh/.gnome-desktop/TkDesk.desktop"

** WARNING **: Root window clicks will not work as no GNOME-compliant
window manager could be found!

I have no .xrdb (what is it?!), I use icewm-gnome as my WM and I have
adjusted the permissions of /etc/X11/Xresources/xbase-clients. I am gsmh
on my system which corresponds to 1000.

What gives? Anyone else had this problem? I have upgraded a virgin
Slink install three times now and each time I get the same problem. I
have tried using Sawmill and get the same problem, so I doubt if it is
WM related. Logging on a root displays the same problem too.

Cheers.

--
Phillip Deackes