Unidentified subject!

Hi all,

I have a PII PC which is running win 98 and Linux,  I tried setting up my
ISP connection using "pppd" and "chat" but I
didn't get very far, i thought the script i wrote was wrong......
However when I used Kppp I failed also with a message in the
/var/log/message:
<Date&Time> pppd [<process number>] : CHAP authenticantion successful
<Date&Time> pppd [<process number>] : remote host unable to determine IP
address
Then I lose the connection

and how can I change the Modem speed while connected? I know BREAK [ \K ]
changes the speed .... but how do I know if it did and what is the new
speed?

Regards,
Faisal Mahdi