Re: xauth problem in potato

On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 10:40:19AM -0900, Adam Shand wrote:

> > /usr/bin/X11/xauth:  unable to open tmp file "/home/paul/.Xauthority-n"
> > /usr/bin/X11/xauth:  unable to write authority file /home/paul/.Xauthority-n
> >
> > Is this potentially a permission problem?  What should they be?
>
> i believe i just read a message in debian-user about there being a problem
> with the current xbase-clients.  check the archives, it may not be a
> permisions problem.

I've had a related, though I believe different, problem when ssh'ing to
my home (dynamic IP) box, and trying to run X on my work (static IP)
box.

I assign "127.0.0.1 navel"  in /etc/hosts on my home box.  I refer to
the dynamic IP by the same name from work.  What happens is that
$DISPLAY and xauth both point to navel:10 for their ssh-forwarded X
session.  I have to change these both to point to the dynamic IP
instead.  Slight PITA.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)

Scope out Scoop:  http://scoop.kuro5hin.org/