want to image my hard-disk to cdrom

I have a 6GB hard-disk, which is partitioned 4gb windows, 2gb linux.  My
system has crashed a couple of times lately, wiping out my linux partition
(Windows seems to like to hose it, something screwy with the BIOS Parameter
Block I think.  Anyhow, I have a CD-burner (which is connected via USB, and
thus must be used from Windows), and I want to burn a set of disks that I
can boot linux with, and restore an exact image of my drive.  I have no need
to be able to access individual files, since I will do seperate file
backups.  I just want a quick way of getting my system back exactly as it is
without reinstalling from scratch.  I have never used it, but I understand
'dd' has some of these features.  Does anyone know of a way to do this?
Also, with only 6GB (of which a significant portion is full), I'd ideally
like to create a compressed image of my drive, since otherwise I don't have
enough space to do this.  And since this is a laptop, I am extremely limited
in my choices for additional hardware (like a seperate drive for linux to
solve this problem altogether)

Thanks,
.Geoff