System.Map question

I just installed 'frozen' as my first trial of debian.  I had a general
question:
I have two System.Map files on my system.  a /System.Map and
/boot/System.map-2.2.14
My system crashed (damn laptop suspend and X), and when I rebooted I got a
message about something worng with
System.Map-2.2.14 in /boot.  I looked and the file was ancient (Mid
January), whereas I rebuilt the kernel last weekend.  I just copied the file
in / to /boot and all was well, but do I really need both of these?  I also
have a vmlinuz-2.2.14 in /boot.  This is obviously not my current kenel, nor
is it my backup kernel.  Do I need it?