Re: modem/comm port locked!

On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 06:43:23PM -0500, S. Salman Ahmed wrote:

> I tried connecting to my ISP a little while before and after typing
> "pon", noticed the following lines appear in one of my logs:
>
> Mar 2 18:35:01 phoenix pppd[845]: pppd 2.3.11 started by ssahmed, uid 1000
> Mar 2 18:35:01 phoenix pppd[845]: Device ttyS1 is locked by pid 836
> Mar 2 18:35:01 phoenix pppd[845]: Exit.
>
> When I picked up the phone, there was no dialtone. The only way to fix
> the problem was to reboot the system. Is there any other way besides
> rebooting to unlock the modem's comm port ?

rm /var/lock/LCK..ttyS1

its a file containing a pid, you should check that the process is
really gone before deleting the file..  its possible it won't work
anyway if the serial port is not closed properly.  (i have heard anyway.)

> Also, why would this happen in the first place ?

pppd dying without unlocking the serial port.  or perhaps hanging and
not doing anything.