potato install issues

I'm trying to install potato to a new machine to be used as a squid
box.  (I know potato is beta/frozen).  I'm having the following issues:

1) during the install, after the first reboot, I'm getting an error with
init.  Specifically, the install process puts a line in inittab that says
to respawn /root/.bash_profile (or was it rc, I forget, I'm home now) at
run level 1.  The file doesn't exist so the respawn gets cranky.  Who is
supposed to put down this file?  I've tried touching the file and/or
commenting out the line (using another virtual console).  Anyone know what
is supposed to be the contents of this file or why I'm not getting it?

2) I'm not getting the dselect section that lets me select
"workstation" or "server" or ...  I'm trying to be lazy and just select
server but I'm not getting this dialog.  Where does this dialog come
from?  Is this supposed to be what's in /root/.bash_profile?

3) I have 1 SCSI drive and 4 ide drives and the lilo docs are unclear as
to how to set up /etc/lilo.conf for this arrangement so that I can boot
from the scsi drive and use the 4 ide drives for raiding for the cache.
I've tried what the docs imply:

disk=/dev/sda
bios=0x80
disk=/dev/hda
bios=0x81 (I've also tried 0x30, which is what lilo -v -v -v tells me)

but I'm still dying at "LI".  According to the manual for lilo, this is a
geometry mismatch, lilo can't find the data it needs, it's getting
confused by the multiple hard drives.

thanks.

--
kc