The perfect X text editor

Hi,

What the world needs is a text editor which has the following:

1. Designed from the start to run under X, preferably using gnome
widgets.

2. Designed to be somewhat compatible with emacs --- where this
doesn't impinge on utility.

3. Designed to be quick to start.  It should do this by only loading
in extra functionality when needed (at run time).

Does anyone know whether
A) this editor already exists, or
B) there are people working on it?

Please email any responses to me directly as I am currently not
subscribed to the list.

In particular I am looking for an emacs replacement for email
composition.  I use emacs in conjunction with exmh which is quite nice
in terms of editing power.  In particular I like the way it can
reformat paragraphs, and even does this reformatting correctly when
the paragraph is indented using ">" characters or whatever.  The main
problem is that it takes forever to load, even when you only want to
write a simple email.  Can anyone recommend a replacement?

Cheers,

Mark.