module problem

I've been trying to install debian 2.1. When I configure network modules
and try to add the module 3c59x I get a fail message, ...init module,
device or resource busy..
I'm using a cable modem to connect to my local Cox ISP. I have been able
to install this module in both Mandrake and Redhat on my HP Vectra
box. Currently I'm running redhat. lsmod lists the 3c59x module installed
on redhat. Is there a command line parameter I need to add? I'm pretty new
to all this and I appreciate any help.
Thanks

-- dale

"How beautiful it is to do nothing and then rest afterward"
                                -Spanish Proverb