Re: Proper location for StarOffice

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 2/14/00, 4:21:45 AM, Erik van der Meulen <erik@avondel.xs4all.nl>
wrote regarding Proper location for StarOffice:

> I would like to give Staroffice a try. I downloaded the tar and tried
> install in /usr/local/bin as root. Hoping this would allow for shared
> use.
> It seems that the installation script is user-dependable, and I can
only
> run SO as root now. Do I need an installation for each user in their
> respective home directories? It does work, but seems a lot of
overhead.

> Thanks a lot.

> --
>   Erik van der Meulen <erik@avondel.xs4all.nl>

The README in the SO51inst directory details the multi-user
installation.  Basically you install SO, then you modify the script
used to direct the install for multi-user.  SO has a humungus install
size, and requires about a 2 meg. Individual installation for each
user.  There are a few sites on the web that can give you the fast
start, as well (I forget the url's, but a yahoo will find 'em for ya).
 The management of the individual components of SO is something you
need to know about, but have been left out of the docs.  I've found
that the mail and browser cache files need manual adjustment -
"reorganization" - as SO calls it.  Without re-organizing the files,
your SO will plod along happily till it hits it's threshold, and then
crash - without warning. Watch your load indicators, when the load
gets high, reorganize.  If you figure a way around this, let me
know...
Good luck Mr. Phelps, you'll need it.