telnet problems

Hi,
I am not sure if this is a newbie, or experienced question,,, which means that it is probably a newbie question.

I have been trying to allow telnet access to my machine

In securetty I have all the options I have seen.
In hosts.allow, for this test I have ALL: ALL among specified users
in the inetd.conf i have telnet streem tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.telnetd

but there is no in.telnetd in the /user/sbin...

I am stumped but also don't know if this has anything to do with the TCP wrapper or what

thanks
Jonathan Hendler - Maine