Re: apt changes mount status of /usr ?!?!!

On 20/1/2000 Alexander List wrote:

Obviously, apt seems to fiddle around with mount during the upgrade
procedure, /usr is mounted ro after the upgrade!!!

On another system using slink, I noticed that apt doesn't work correctly
if there's no separate mount point for /usr, eg when you put everything in
one big partition. Did anyone else encounter similar problems?

I'd just like to ask, before I report this as a bug...

its not a bug, someone probably just configured it to do that.

on my system:
[eb@plato eb]$ cat /etc/apt/apt.conf
DPkg
{
// Auto re-mounting of a readonly /usr
Pre-Invoke {"mount -o remount,rw /usr";};
Post-Invoke {"mount -o remount,ro /usr";};

}
// Pre-configure all packages before they are installed.
// (Automatically added by debconf.)
DPkg::Pre-Install-Pkgs {"dpkg-preconfigure --apt";};
[eb@plato eb]$

the pre and post invoke take care of remounting my normally read only /usr filesystem read write for the duration of the upgrade and then remount it read only again (if possible) after its finished. if you have a dedicated partition for /usr that is the way to go, read only /usr is a good thing.

Ethan