help with ftp site please

I am trying to download a basic package for the 68K Mac from the Debian
ftp site and could use some help please.

 Files seem to be spread all over with no rhyme or reason. As a result I
can't be sure what I need or where to find it (and I've installed Debian
once before and BSD once too). There seems to be a basic package that is
not clearly labeled as such (just "Debian") and is, to my way of
thinking, way too small to be a full basic install. (About 14 megs
stuffed, including the Base2.1gz file which of course was somewhere else
on the ftp site. WHY?WHY?WHY?). The minimalist information on the web
site also seems to suggest very strongly that there are no man pages
included with the above "package", but that the man pages must be
downloaded separately, also difficult to make sense of, from a separate
page. The packages page took me a couple of hours to find at all, then
when I did, it made little sense. I opened the X windows page and found
everything in there EXCEPT X windows!!! Unless the Debian folks have
performed a Guiness class miracle in compact software design, Xwindows is
certainly not contained in the "Debian" package, it also isn't in the X
folder of the ftp site, so can anyone give me a clue as to where it might
be?

Why on earth can't they put together some basic packages and clearly
label them?:

1. minimal system install
2. full system install
3. full system + Xwindows install
4. all the other stuff you might need or want thrown in a box

Do they really think that someone wanting to install Linux might not want
the man pages? Is that why they are off in some other corner of the web
site? I can accept the argument, "Linux is difficult to install." I can
also accept the argument that, "Linux is difficult to learn." But I find
it hard to accept the argument that, "Because they're Linux files, it is
difficult to clearly organize and label them on the ftp site."

Thanks for letting me blow off steam. And TIA for helping me make sense
out of this gibberish.

David Kachel