Re: IP Masq

On 19/1/2000 Timothy C. Phan wrote:

  Many thanks on the IP masquerading HOWTO. I'll download it
  and read it.

  I used to remember that debian has different way to compile
  the kernel.  Is there an HOWTO on Debian kernel compile/install.

yes but its not required, get the kernel-package package and read its docs, it lets you create kernel .debs like debian distributes.

  Secondly, I looked at all the packages that I've mirror on slink,
  I saw the base directory has only kernel-image-2.03[3-8]_2.3..
  My question is what is version 2.0 and 2.2 that you mentioned
  in your email(included).  What diff, and which to use.

kernel 2.0 is used in slink, potato uses kernel 2.2, 2.2 is a better kernel to use for ip masq IMO. I am not certain if any debian packaged kernel has IP masq compiled in though, i suspect they do.

  Lastly, what is in the ipmasg package?

basically a set of prewritten ipchains rules to protect the internal private network, prevent spoofing and to set up the masqerading. you install it and your done pretty much, i have looked at it and it seems sufficient. do note that it does nothing to protect the firewall itself, it works on the assumption you disable all its services. if not you need to setup some ipchains rules yourself (which i am now trying to do...)

  Thank you very much again!

np

--
Ethan Benson