Re: Soft ejects

On 10/1/2000 Brian May wrote:

However, I see you are now correct. Now data is written to the disk
almost immediately (1 second delay) after it is dirty. This means the
developers have put the safety of the disk ahead of performance
issues...

this is not necessarily the case, from my tests sometimes its flushed very quickly sometimes its not flushed till much later, it depends on what the system is doing i think. idle system -> quick updates busy system -> later updates. just a guess anyway.

I don't know about the error message that forces you to remount
the disk - I never got that myself.

it all depends on the error condition settings, ie if the disk is mounted to remount readonly on errors you will have to remount it again to get it read-write, if you set it to panic then you have to reboot to use it again as the kernel will panic. (on ext2 anyway, I never use DOS unless I have to share the disk with a broken OS)

--
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/