Re: Moving manpages?

On 8/1/2000 Mike Werner wrote:

What I'm wondering is would it be safe for me to just move all the
man pages under /usr/man to /usr/share/man and then update the links
under alternatives?

moving anything under /usr/* (excluding /usr/local which belongs to you) is a very bad idea, this is because the packaging system, dpkg, `owns' everything there, if you start moving things around it will become confused (read broken).

that is the price you pay for a nice packaging system, and also why there are still many slackware enthusiasts ;-)

better option is to report a bug against every package that is leaving dangling links laying around.

--
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/