Possible date problem in nntpcache?

This just started happening today after a service restart:
--->
501 yymmdd hhmmss ["GMT"] [<distributions>]
<---

which is aparantly returned after a `newnews' command from trn.
Setting `NNTPSERVER' to my ISP's news server has no problem. A manual
connection to port 119 reveals my ISP's server to use a four-digit year in
the date field.

Sure looks like a date problem on nntpcache's part, but I'm wondering why
it chose now to start acting up.. I run on a slow dialup link, and I bring
the proxy up and down usually several times each day to keep bandwidth.

Could anyone shed some light on what might be going on here?

-- Ferret no baka