Re: multi-processor kernel

zdrysdal@diagnostic.co.nz said:
> does slink with kernel 2.0.34 support a multi-processor system with 2
> power supplies?

SMP support in 2.0 kernels is not great. I tried it and had crashes about once
a day.  I am now running with a 2.2 kernel under Redhat on the same machine
and it is very stable (multi month uptimes).  You can run 2.2 kernels with
slink although I have not done it myself.

zdrysdal@diagnostic.co.nz said:
>  So I am thinking about putting debian slink on the machine and not
> running xwindows as we think xwindows may be a contributing factor to
> it crashing.

The few crashes that I have had with Linux on uniprocessor machines have
always seemed to be X related. I would expect a system without X to extremely
stable.

Michael Procario                     EMAIL: procario@cmphys.phys.mu.edu
Department of Physics                PHONE: 412-268-3887
Carnegie Mellon University           "Another casualty of applied metaphysics"