lilo again

If I may I will give some excerpts of "Running Linux"

This is from the /etc/lilo.conf section of the book:

... If you give a partitiondevice name (such as /dev/hda2) instead of a
drive device, LILO will be installed as a secondary boot loader on the named
partition.  (Debian users should always do this.) ...

Then from the section Using LILO as a Secondary Boot Loader:

... This restriction applies to the Debian distribution however, where the
MBR can boot an operating system from a boot sector in an extended (but not
logical) partition.  In order to boot Linux this way, th Linux root
partition should be marked as active in the partition table. ....

I have been using LILO in the usual way with Debian so I just don't
understand why LILO should be used as a secondary boot loader.

These excerpts ar from "Running LINUX" 3rd edition by Matt Welsh, Matthias
Kalle Dalheimer and Lar Kaufman

Rik