Upgrading from slink to potato

Please reply to debian-user@lists.debian.org
or directly to arenaz@des.fi.udc.es

Hello,

I want to upgrade my Debian Linux Box from slink to potato. I have got a

4-CD copy of the potato system. It was obtained from a Debian mirror
around 20th december 1999.

A friend of mine told me that upgrading to potato was as easy as:

1) Installing apt-cdrom via "dpkg --install <path>/apt-cdrom.<version>"
2) Running "apt-cdrom add" for each CD of the potato distribution. This
way apt updates its packages database.
3) Running "apt-get upgrade dist".

Nevertheless, I can't find the "apt-cdrom" package neither in any of the

four potato CD's nor in the www.debian.org  archives. What do I have to
do in order to install apt-cdrom? Are the options for dpkg correct? Do I

have to empty the apt database before doing step 2?

Thanks in advance,

             Manuel Arenaz

begin:vcard
n:Arenaz Silva;Manuel
tel;home:986542243
tel;work:981167000 Ext. 1212
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:University of A Coruña;Dpt. Electronics and Systems
version:2.1
email;internet:arenaz@des.fi.udc.es
note:Laboratory 1.2
adr;quoted-printable:;;Campus de Elvi=F1a, s/n=0D=0A15074 A Coru=F1a;A Coruña;;;Spain
x-mozilla-cpt:;24128
fn:Manuel Arenaz Silva
end:vcard