Thrown into console (X won't start)

Hi, guys,

When I booted today, wdm didn't come up. I tried starting it manyally,
and it says
,----
| (**) SVGA: chipset: RIVA 128
| (**) SVGA: videoram: 4064k
|
| (**) SVGA: 24bpp not supported for this chipset
|
| *** A configured device found, but display modes could not be resolved
| ***
`----
This is the correct chipset, ram, and it worked just fine with that
resolution yesterday. I checked /etc/X11/XF86Config... all looking
good. Just in case, I restored it from backup -- to no avail.

I went into dselect, and removed X from the system. Then I reinstaled
X. Still the same problem.

XF86Setup cannot switch into graphical mode, so I guess even 16bpp
doesn't work. On a side note, I have a graphical mutlibooter, and it
comes up w/o any problems (in 16bpp, I would guess).

I have a slink system with XFree 3.3.5 installed. The card is Diamond
Viper330.

Any ideas as to what could have happened and how to debug this thingy?

Thanks!
--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who