Re: Acer machines

>>>>> "O" == Oki DZ <litbang@haltek.telkom.net.id> writes:

O> On 31 Dec 1999, Scott Henry wrote:
>> Not those specific machines.

O> SGI?

Yes, I work for SGI, but not speaking for SGI...

O> Problem is, the machine is currently running on a single-processor, and
O> I'd like to know whether if I add a new processor card on the machine, the
O> kernel would recognize the added CPU (after recompiling the kernel, of
O> course).

If it is a supported MP motherboard, then an SMP kernel should
recognize and use the second processor, as long as it is compatible
with the first one. I don't know all the ins-and-outs, but many MBs
need the CPUs to be of the same speed and "stepping" (specific
production version). The contents of /proc/cpuinfo for the 2
processors needs to be compatible in a way defined by the MB and
BIOS.

--
               More Important Drivel from:
 Scott Henry <scotty@sgi.com> /\/\/\  http://reality.sgi.com/scotth/