2 questions on apt-get

hi freaks,

recently I´m using apt-get to install my potato. I think this way of
distributing debian is a great step into future and perfectly combines  the
abilities of the internet and free software. Debian should go this way.

Now to the questions.
1. After apt-get update/upgrade I always get the standard kernel-image and
pcmcia-modules which overwrites my own compiled versions. How can I exclude
this packages from being upgraded?
2.apt-get upgrade gives the following message:

dpkg-dev kernel-package perl perl-base

I wanna this packages be included in the normal upgrade-procedure. What is the
appropriate action?

I hope this questions are of common interest?

uli