Re: Proposal: Source file package format

On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Fish Smith wrote:

dyson_ >>There are two really horrible things about Debian,
dyson_ >>though. 1) The
dyson_ >>dselect
dyson_ >>package handler. I'm speaking from Debian 2.1 here.
dyson_ >>It has a very
dyson_ >>primitive interface and is incredibly tedious. Maybe
dyson_ >>they're doing
dyson_ >>something different in potato.
dyson_ >
dyson_ >I don't use dselect.  I manually download all the
dyson_ >packages and install and remove them with dpkg from
dyson_ >the command line.  Works fine for me, although it is a
dyson_ >bit of a pain for packages with lots of dependencies
dyson_ >to look up and grab all of them individually.  Still,
dyson_ >the interface I've found far easier than dselect.
dyson_ >

Just to compare .. im doing a freebsd 3.2 install (for the first time) and
i gotta say, i'd take dselect over this crap ANYDAY, it keeps telling me
there is a broken package, and waits for me to hit enter, at least dselect
installs everything it can then lets you go back and fix the errors
later. with all this shit to install i dont want to watch over this
install for the next 2 hours..

and i also did an irix 6.3 install recently, dselect is a dream compared
to that as well.

but in the end dselect has really no real connection to the package format
..you can use any front end you want(i.e. corel's)

nate