Re: su and chsh never work

On 30/12/99 matt garman wrote:

Yup, what you described is exactly what happened on my system.  Gives
new meaning to "unstable," eh?

yeah, i was rather horrified :( especially this close to freeze, i suppose i should get around to writing that bug report (i discovered this after the 3rd reinstall due to some really nasty filesystem corruption so i did not make a log or a script of everything that was broke...)

So is there an easier fix for this?  Seems as though it would take just
as long to re-install as it would to fix every little broken piece.  I'm
running on a fresh install now, so if I had to throw it all away, it
wouldn't be a problem.

well, what i would do is just install the base system, then boot into it and extract the base tarball (base2_2.tgz into /var/tmp or some other temp directory, use the command tar -zxvpf which will properly preserve the permissions, then just move the directories into place, a few you will have to use some cranky commands.. you may have to change some of this to use tar to move them if you have several partitions..

something like this assumes you have everything on the root filesystem.

# cd /
# mv sbin sbin.stupid
# mv /var/tmp/sbin /
# mv bin bin.stupid
# /bin.stupid/mv /var/tmp/bin /
# mv usr usr.stupid
# mv /var/tmp/usr /

and so on, do /dev last and then immediately reboot (i had a few things getting confused when i moved /dev out of the way.

another faster and more adventurous way would be to try:

# cd /
# tar -zxvpf base2_2.tgz

which in theory will blow away the current broken base system with a properly extracted version but i have not tried this and it may cause unexpected results... one thing for sure is it would probably revert to unconfigured and you would have to do the `configure the base system' step manually that is normally done by dbootstrap.

another option would be to boot dbootstrap and when you get to the point of install the base system go to VT2 start a shell and extract the base tarball yourself, but tar is not available on the boot floppies and afaict neither is cpio, you can however copy the tar binary to a floppy disk, mount the floppy and invoke tar manually. this is probably the best option.. after you extract it yourself go back to dbootstrap and skip the install base system and go to configure base system.

i have not tried that either but it SHOULD work ;-) I know for sure tar works since i have done that before (don't worry about removing the root floppy its not used anymore after the kernel gets done decompressing it)

if you have not blown away the broken base yet it might be useful to do a ls -laR / > /tmp/ls.out so the developers can be shown exactly what is screwed, rather then my not that great description of it all.

--
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/