a.out system ???

I'm trying to install Xfree86 on top of Debian Linux 2.1 on
an old 386 DX intel chip system.
I'm using a Windows 95, pentium based machine, with Netscape

to dowload the files, then a 3 1/2 inch floppy drive to
transfer the files from the pentium to the DOS partition on
the 386, then into the Linux partition via  mounting hda1.

Following the instructions in
http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.5/RELNOTES9.html#13,
when I download all of the *.tgz files and copy them to
/var/tmp, and then type these 2 commands:
cd /usr/X11R6
sh /var/tmp/preinst.sh

I receive the following message:
You appear to have an a.out system, a.out binaries are not
available for this release.

Also, if I just skip this step, and go on to
cd /usr/X11R6
/var/tmp/extract  /var/tmp/X*.tgz

I receive the following message:
can't load library 'libc.so.5'

I've tried using the files in both of the following
libraries to no success:
ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/3.3.5/binaries/Linux-ix86-glibc/

ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/3.3.5/binaries/Linux-ix86-libc5/

My question doesn't seem to be addressed in
http://www.xfree86.org/FAQ/

Is there something I missed when I setup Linux?  I followed
the instructions at:
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current/install.html

There doesn't seem to be any mention of "a.out"
How do I get around these error messsages so that I can
install Xfree86?  Someone at XFree86@XFree86.org  said
"Lot's of good information on the web about ELF binaries"

>From reading :
http://www.linuxpress.com/debusered2.htm#page169
I assumed that the debian system that I just installed was
ELF.  That document says "Debian became a full ELF compliant
system with the release of 1.1 and it has not changed the
library infrastructure since then."

The only other info I could find on the net says that a.out
is an old system and ELF replaced it.  Does anybody know
what I need to do to Debian linux to be able to install
Xfree86?  Do I need to install a package that was not
included in the initial 7 bin files  i.e., base14-1.bin,
base14-2.bin, etc ???