Botting a Mylex DAC960 RAID controller

Hello!

I'm trying to install Debian slink on a double pentium 2 server with a
Mylex DAC960 RAID controller with 3 IBM UW2 9Gb disks.

After compiling a custom kernel for the boot floppy and making it boot and
see the DAC960, I found that the Debian installation hangs: it gets stuck
asking me if I have a color display (the cursor stops moving).

The server has 256Mb RAM, but I tried to boot with Linux mem=256 and it
dumped registers.

Syslinux, instead, complains that low memory is lower than about 600Kb,
and asks me to boot it holding Ctrl.

Is there some custom boot floppy to try with?
Has someone installed Linux in a DAC960-only environment?

					   Read you soon! Enrico