Re: X, middle mouse,Artec, do see output in /dev/mouse

On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 11:01:30AM +0100, Colin Marquardt wrote:
> * joost witteveen <joostje@cistron.nl> writes:
>
> > I've two mice here who's middle mouse button I cannot get to work
> > under X. However, cat-ing /dev/mouse shows that i do get output:
> [...]
> > So, it seems like it should be possible for X to detect
> > midle mouse presses.
>
> Does xev recognise it?

Thanks for the idea, but no, it doesn't :(. So, I assume
I don't have to try this:

> Maybe you need to play with xmodmap (search xmodmap with / pointer,
> *not* / mouse).  E.g. xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3"

> Or... does gpmconfig recognise the mouse as a slightly different
> model which gives the middle button by default (which is then
> maybe/hopefully also known to X).

But I've already tried all possible X mice. And everything works
with the Microsoft setting, except for the middle button. Strange
thing is that I've now got two such mice, bought at different times,
and from different suppliers.

Thanks,