Gnumeric fonts missing

Hello all,

I have come across a problem with gnumeric, when I run it I get the following error:

~$ gnumeric
Gnumeric failed to find a suitable default font.
Please verify your gnome-print installation and that your fontmap file
(typically located in /usr/local/share/fonts/fontmap) is not empty or
near empty.
If you still have no luck, please file a proper bug report (see
http://bugs.gnome.org) including the following extra items:
1. Values of LC_ALL and LANG environment variables.
2. Your fontmap file, see above.
Thanks -- the Gnumeric Team

I have checked the path to the fonts and it does not exist.  Am I missing a package
??  I havent over-ridden any dependancies and I usually select things that are
suggested.

Any suggestions to fix this problem ???

John.