Re: Fw: Well, Corel is out

I just popped the corel cd out of the burner and put
in in by cd drive.  Hey I can read it! (it actually
burned!)  Would you believe they DID NOT include
EMACS! (it's not in the packages.gz file anyway).
Guess they had a size problem.  I'll try installing on
the spare computer (wipe out RedHat) later.  Meanwhile
I'm exploring the cd.

--- Adam Glass <adam@metrolink.com> wrote:
> There is a solution to this problem, and it's the
> Linux Standard Base
> project (LSB).  Those folks are working to provide a
> set of standards which
> a distribution can conform to.  Then people who
> write drivers and other
> software can just write them to work with any
> LSB-compliant distribution.
>
> 						--Adam  :-)
>
> Richard wrote:
> >
> > The immortal question is still going to be... at
> what point do all these
> > distributions prevent the non-distro developer
> from providing valuable
> > software....
> >
> > for example, I buy a laptop.  It has the latest
> and greatest hardware, from
> > USD to JOG dial, and an internal camera....
> However, 5 of the 10 device
> > drivers require drivers that are binary only from
> the distro of the week.
> > I've already experienced this.
> >
> > I have the new Sony PCG505RX.  It's a hummer.  It
> also uses the NeoMagic
> > 256AV chipset for video and audio.  Redhat
> published a GPL version of a
> > sound driver from www.uglx.org which is now in the
> kernel.  The patches
> > provided by UGLX do not work on all distros or
> even most(not entirely
> > proven). I emailed NeoMagic and in a moment of
> weakness they told me that RH
> > was working on a Binary Only version of the
> driver. Then there's opensound.
> > I tried the 4Front audio driver on Mandrake 6.1
> and they would not install
> > and not load.

=====
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!