Re: trouble installing debian

> I'm having trouble installing debian on my system.  It's an IBM PS/1,
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If I remember right, some IBM PS1s have trouble booting Linux; I never saw
it in any of the documentation on the web site - I found it when I pressed
on of the function keys at the "boot:" prompt.  It might provide you with
some help.

> 486sx33 w/ 8mb ram, and a 1.2gb quantum fireball hard drive, with 5
             ^^^^^^^

Seriously consider more memory.

> partitions.  I put the rescue disk in my floppy drive, reboot, and press
> enter at the "boot:" prompt.  There is some disk activity for a few
> seconds, and then the system freezes (the floppy drive light stays on, but
> there is no activity).  I've tried several things to fix this problem, such
> as using different disks with the resc1440.bin disk image, all of them
> surface scanned before rawriting, using the resc1440-safe, resc1440-tecra,

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein