        PS1 ="\[\033]0;\u@\h: \w\007\]\w\$ "
        ;;
    *)
        PS1 ="\w\$ "
        ;;
esac

HISTSIZE =1000
_________________________

I get the following error when I open an xterm,

bash: PS1: command not found
bash: HISTSIZE: command not found
bash-2.01$

I don't understand this.  Both commands worked in my last Slink system.
I checked the list archives and didn't find anything.  Anyone know how
to fix this?

yes try deleting the spaces after PS1 and HISTSIZE.

try this:
________________________
case $TERM in
     xterm*)
         export PS1="\[\033]0;\u@\h: \w\007\]\w\$ "
         ;;
     *)
         export PS1="\w\$ "
         ;;
esac

export HISTSIZE=1000

you should be able to export them all at once by adding a line:

export PS1 HISTSIZE to the bottom of the .bashrc instead of exporting each one individually, but it really does not matter which way you export them just so you do.

Best Regards,
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/