Re: Well, Corel is out

--- Tim Schaefer <tschaefe@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Mike Sytsma wrote:
> >
> > I've seen Corel's Linux out.
> > It's 15$ to buy their cheap CD's, and ~50 to buy
> it in the box.
> > However, I'd really like to see how good it is.
>
> Download it and find out! Sheesh.
>
> > Has anybody here d/l'd the cdimages?
> Yes.  See my comments from yesterday in the "ACM
> Linux install event"
> thread.
>

> > Main question... is Corel's Lin any good?
> Is Linux any good?
>
> It's Debian linux, very clean, absolutely nothing
> else on the
> system except a real nice file manager ala Windows
> Explorer and
> a stripped down KDE desktop.  There is a Corel
> Update, with a
> few cryptic options to do ( guessing here ) CVS
> updates to your
> system, or Debian updates across the net.
>
> Informix engine runs out of the box on it, but I
> haven't figured out
> what libraries are needed to make it work with
> Informix tools.  This
> is always out of my reach.  Is it glibc or whatever?
>  It'll take
> somebody who understands the glibc/not-glibc arena
> to tell. Sigh.
>
> Here's the output from gcc:
>
> coconut:~$ gcc -v
> Reading specs from
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.3/specs
> gcc version 2.7.2.3
> coconut:~$
>
> Anyway, I think Corel has a great release, just no
> docs on what it is
> compared to other Linuxes.  They have done a great
> job at a stripped
> down Linux without all the crap associated with
> other Linuxes.  But
> trying to figure out how to add software and such is
> frustrating unless
> you're a Debian fan.  And they need to get a real ps
> command instead
> of the lame one that came with it.  :-)
>
> Later
>
> Tim

I think the 'missing' pieces can just be installed off
the debian ftp site. (They are using .deb's!)  Unless
they hosed the dpkg data base you could probably even
install dselect.  If they preserved the apt-get
interface then upgrading-adding packages is very easy,
just edit the aptsources file, udpate the available
package database, and select what you want.  Apt will
solve any package dependancies and find all the libs
you need.

> > Also, will cheapbytes ever sell those CD's, or is
> it artfully licensed?
> Don't know don't care.
>
> > Thanks, Mike Sytsma

> http://www.hotmail.com