Re: the gimp?

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 12:44:00PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:

> Debian guarentees that everything in it's main distribution is free, which
> makes preprending -free to package names quite pointless. The gimp package
> suggests gimp-nonfree, which means that if you use dselect or any other
> reasonable tool for selecting gimp, and you have set up your system to
> access the nbon-free archives, you will be shown gimp-nonfree when you
> select gimp for installation.

Really?

peon:~# apt-get install gimp
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  gimp
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
Need to get 2884kB of archives. After unpacking 6989kB will be used.
Get:1 ftp://ftp.sunsite.utk.edu unstable/main gimp 1.0.4-2.0.1 [2884kB]
Fetched 2884kB in 8s (342kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package gimp.
(Reading database ... 73286 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking gimp (from .../gimp_1.0.4-2.0.1_i386.deb) ...
Setting up gimp (1.0.4-2.0.1) ...

peon:~#

gimp-nonfree is definitely available (it's reinstalling right now).
But I already knew about it.  I remember finding out about it being a
PITA, though.  For those of us who don't spend our free time reading
package dependencies, the name "gimp" doesn't suggest there's a
"gimp-nonfree" any more than "shellutils" suggests a
"shellutils-nonfree".

> Gimp-nonfree is not a complete gimp package, it just contains the gimp
> plugin. The gimp has a plugin architecture; the fact that Debian omits one
> non-free plugin from their base gimp package is not a good reason to say we
> should not call that package "gimp".

I see your point here.  Perhaps a line like this could be added to
apt's (dpkg's?) output, to make these "reasonable" installation
methods:

Package 'gimp' suggests the following packages, which are not installed:
	freefont, sharefont, gimp-nonfree, gimp-data-extras (>= 1:1.0.0)
Please consider also installing these packages.

Rob

--
The perfect lover is one who turns into a pizza at 4:00 A.M.
		-- Charles Pierce