Re: [Q] Setting up a primary DNS server for my domain name on a Debian box...

I'm not a wiz at DNS config but I've done some domain
install with success...

Here it goes:

At 01:50 PM 11/17/99 -0800, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:
[Note: Would appreciate if you Cc-ed me on your replies to this thread]

Hi,

I have never configured bind before.  I have a Debian (slink+potato) box.
I have bind 8.2.2p3-1 installed on this box.

update to 8.2.2p5 (security reasons I belive).

I want this box to be the primary DNS server (the one that is listed in the
whois record) for my domain name.  The entries for the various things in my
domain would be pretty simple.  Only one 'A' record for foo.org  Everything
else would (at the moment) be CNAME records pointing to the A record.

CNAME's are depreciated, go for the A records.

I tried following the instructions in the DNS HOWTO.  Things work fine when
I do a nslookup from the machine which is running bind.  But when I do an
nslookup remotely (setting this machine that is running bind as the server)
all queries time out.

If you setup your
/etc/bind/named.conf
/etc/bind/db.127
/etc/bind/db.your_ip_here_without_the_lastpart
/etc/bind/db.your_domain_here

correctly and restarted your DNS (ndc restart)
(you updated your serial numbers before every restart right?)

Then check your /var/log/syslog file for any errors.
Then the domain should be ok...

Send me your /etc/bind dir and your /var/log/syslog and
I will take a look at it, although I can promise you anything...

Would greatly appreciate step by step instructions (or pointers to step by
step instructions) on how to set up a primary domain name server on Debian.

Thanks a lot.

Thaths
--
   "English.  Pfft.  Who needs that?  I'm never going to England."
                      -- Homer J. Simpson