Re: good GPLed backup program

Hi,

> *- On 17 Nov, T.V.Gnanasekaran wrote about "good GPLed backup program"
> > Hi,
> >
> > Looking for good reliable backup program under linux.
> > I know BRU is good but it is priced. I want a free product.
> > -gnana
> >

> How do you define good: efficient, flashy, easy to use, flexible or
> multi-platform?  There are kbackup, afbackup, taper, amanda(network
> backups), tob and the usual afio, cpio and tar.  Each have their pros
> and cons. All are packaged for Debian. I personally wrote my own scripts
> for use with afio and am happy.

I have tried several of these by myself. At last I settled on taper. The big
win is that taper generates an index file of the archive, so it will be very
quick to restore any file in the archive if you need. It just seeks to that
file and restores it and no need to read all the files through to find the
correct one if your tape supports.

I recently had a hard disk failure. And taper helps me a lot to restore the
system.

--
Min Xu
City College of NY, CUNY