Re: win95/netscape/smartupdate over ipmasq failure

I am replying to my own thread since I found the problem.

It turned out that I had my mtu/mru setting different for my eth0 and
ppp0 network devices.  This apparently can cause problems since I had
the ppp0 set at 552 and eth0 at 1500.  And since ip packet defrag is on
in the kernel for IP_MASQUERADE support then the ppp0 device was
refusing to defrag the large packets fromt the internal network.  I
guess no one knows who to blame for this but it is a known problem but
not well documented.

Bottom Line: Make sure and have your mtu/mru settings the same on all
devices involved with ip masqurading.

I hope someone else can benifit from this.

*- On  8 Nov, Brian Servis wrote about "win95/netscape/smartupdate over ipmasq failure"

--
Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you