Do ALSA packages work for you?

Hello,

I'm trying to use the Debian ALSA packages without success at all. I
have two different servers with different sound cards and the problem is
basically the same: "/etc/init.d/alsa start" does nothing but saying
"alsa driver installed" which is not true. In fact, as soon as I try to
run a sound application I get the error "/dev/audio: no such file or
directory", even though /dev/audio is a valid file in the system.

I'm following the instructions under <working-dir>/modules/debian from
the alsa sources and trying to install the thing for AW64, CS4636. Any
experience with this problem out there?

--
Pedro