Re: pppd Crashes Serial Port

Quoting Jeff Sciortino (jjs2815@ritvax.isc.rit.edu):
> I have had a persistent problem ever since I started using debian a few
> months ago.
>
> When I'm doing something with pppd up and moving data ... netscaping,
> ftping, lynxing, etc. the mouse locks up (well it doesn't stop entirely
> but acts like it is swamped. There is a long delay before mouse clicks
> are registered and the cursor jumps when it does finally decide to
> move.) and the data I'm trying to get over the ppp connection stalls.
>
> The frequency of crashing seems random. Sometimes it happens after I'm
> online for 15 seconds, sometimes after I've been on line for half an
> hour. To get the mouse working again, I have to reboot.
>
> I've checked the IRQ settings for the mouse port (serial 0, IRQ 4) and
> the modem port (serial 1, IRQ 3). There appears to be no conflict. This
> is reflected in my startup messages:
>
> Nov 12 16:00:17 debian kernel: Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial
> options enabled
> Nov 12 16:00:17 debian kernel: tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> Nov 12 16:00:17 debian kernel: tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

It might be worth having a look at /proc/interrupts to check that the
count for 4 goes up when you move the mouse, and the count for 3 when
you talk to the modem (keeping the mouse stationary).

Does this only happen in X? Have you got the right mouse selected?
Is gpm still running on the consoles when X is running? If so,
are you using the -R method of running the X mouse? This may be
worth trying.

Just some suggestions to try out.

Cheers,