Re: Designing a LAN

Linux is not a good choice for LAN design until it supports things like
IEEE 802.1q and 802.10

Things like switched VLANS can save you a lot of money in equipment
expendatures and Linux does not yet do VLAN tagging and trunking. It is in
the works but the latest code I can find is described by the author as
"pre-alpha" and looked to be only a tiny subset of the complete protocols.

If all your LANS are on dedicated switches or hubs, or you do not mind
per-interface networks, Linux will work fine. Linux will not, however,
understand VLAN trunking. That may change in the near future but until it
does, you might want to use a cheap router from Nortel (my favorite
because they hate proprietary protocols) or Cisco (my least favorite
because they LOVE proprietary protocols and look up to Microsoft as a
corporate example).