Re: Don't wanna remove diald but apt wants to

On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 09:28:16PM -0700, Mark Zimmerman wrote:
> I'd like to bring my system up to the current potato level but if I do
> this, it will remove diald.  Observe...
>
> Reading Package Lists...
> Building Dependency Tree...
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   diald netstd
>   bootpc cfingerd debconf finger fping icmpinfo lockfile-progs rdate
> rdist
>   rsh-client ruptime rusers rwall rwho rwhod tftp traceroute vflib2
> The following packages have been kept back
>   lesstif-bin netatalk
> 123 packages upgraded, 18 newly installed, 2 to remove and 2 not
> upgraded.
>
> Apparently, netstd has to go away but diald depends on it. Is there
> any way around this? I assume that I'm not the only one who really
> needs diald.

netstd has been completely split into all those new packages, if you
check the description it says to "Please remove it." diald is broken if
it still depends on netstd (although some developers were complaining
that the netstd maintainer didn't give proper warning, etc...)

You can either put whatever is conflicting with it on hold, recompile
diald from source with fixed dependencies until the maintainer uploads
the official fix, or just wait. The bug has already been filed.

--
  finger for GPG public key.
  16 Nov 1999 - new key generated, please stop using the old.